[mythtv-users] ATTENTION: Want to help remove 5C FireWire encryption?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 7 14:15:03 UTC 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 6:59 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> On 2/7/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 6, 2007, at 9:02 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:
>>> To my fellow American MythTV users:
>>
>> Is there any talk about extended this to satellite providers? For
>> many reasons, I do not and will not subscribe to Comcast cable. I
>> currently get OTA HD, but if DirecTV offered a box with Firewire, I
>> would be thrilled.
>
> From what I understand, the satellite companies are not controlled by
> the FCC (since they were not handed a government mandated monopoly, a
> catch-22 in the world of cable), so they can play by their own rules.
> There are companies that sell modified satellite hardware for grabbing
> the streamed mpeg file though...

The satellite carries certainly like to cite the FCC as a reason for
not giving customers access to the MPEG stream. Both the PR and the
technical people will swear that they really want to do this and the
bad old FCC will not let them.

I don't believe it for a second. I have read Section 304 of the
telecommunications act and it says no such thing.

But I think that except perhaps at the very highest levels the sat
carrier employees believe it to be true. It's certainly easier for
the higher-ups to just "blame the government" than to try and explain
legalese that even the lawyers who wrote it can't agree on the
meaning of.

As I understand it the modified receivers *may* be illegal, at least
in the USA, but because of the DMCA, not the rules most often cited.