[mythtv-users] Diskless frontend & debian

Mark Hetherington mark at hethos.org
Tue Feb 6 20:12:11 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 11:14, Cristo Bolaņos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've read wiki documentation, but is redhat oriented.
>
> I've success with pxe, dhcp, tftp and boot, but not with kernel image
> and mount over nfs.
>
> Has anyone created kernel and init images with debian ? Is there a
> clear guide to do it ? :)
>
> Thanks everyone.

I currently have a diskless image served from a debian server, with the kernel
having been built from debian kernel packages. I took a few stabs at it to
get it right (as far as kernel options). I found a couple of guides by
searching for "debian diskless". I'm using a syslinux pxe boot menu to make
avialable the debian installer, or a full debian system to dhcp clients.

Unfortunately I currently only have access to email, so I can't confirm
exactly which site it was I found the best information at. There is actually
a "diskless" utility for debian that helps in building multiple system images
and sharing images between clients, but if you are planning to use minimyth
this won't be useful.

When I was building my kernel, I had to make sure I had nfs compiled in, as
well as tcp, dhcp, and all the appropriate network drivers for any potential
clients.

If you come across a particular problem, I'll try to assist you if you email
me the details.

Cheers,
Mark