[mythtv-users] any way to 'optimize' s-video output from GeForce FX 5500?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 7 11:37:02 UTC 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 3:49 AM, Damian Surr wrote:

>> You people make me want to throw up.  Now, I have to figure out
>> how to
>> afford a TV with VGA or DVI in...  :)
>>
> My 5200 has 3 outputs:
> VGA
> DVI
> S-Video
>
> I want to keep a monitor on the VGA output (unless I receive different
> advice), and want to buy a monitor.
> I don't plan on using HD at the moment.
> Which output would produce the best quality on screen? (If VGA
> would be
> best, then I guess I could put my monitor on the DVI output)

Is this for a dedicated Myth machine? If it is why do you want a
monitor as wellas a TV hooked up to it? (There are some reasons, I
just wondered what yours were or if you'd thought about it).

The VGA and DVI will both be better than the S-Video. For SD they
will probably be about the same and for a 5200 they probably are in
fact the same (DVI-A). A cheap DVI-VGA adapter would allow you to
simply get the best deal on a TV set that you can, though a lot of
even the "cheap" sets have both inputs these days.

As for how to afford it, you simply have to deny yourself "luxuries"
like food, heat and paying taxes and concentrate on what's really
important in life.