[mythtv-users] TV Recommendations

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Feb 7 09:05:17 UTC 2007

On Feb 7, 2007, at 1:52 AM, Daniel Agar wrote:

> This is somewhat off topic, but I thinking about getting a new TV,
> but I'm
> not really sure where to start. I'd be looking for a flat screen TV
> suitable for a living room that gets a lot of sunlight. Should I go
> LCD or
> Plasma? I was thinking the screen should be 30"-40" and I think I
> could
> settle for 720p. The screen would be used entirely for myth. So I was
> wondering what the mythtv community looks for in televisions. I
> live in
> Ontario so I was thinking best buy or futureshop would probably be
> where
> I'd go. This would be my first HDTV. Any recommendations, tips, review
> sites, etc would be greatly appreciated.

In that size range I'd go with an LCD, but I'm sure others would
disagree. Myth systems tend to have menus up a lot and plasma screens
are susceptible to burn-in due to that. A 32" or 37" LCD is getting
pretty cheap, at least in the US, I know Canadian prices are higher.

I wonder if you could drive down to Buffalo and tell customs on the
way home that it was "used" (throw the box away in the US). Depends
on where in Ontario you are I guess :-)

I think you would wind up regretting going with 720p. 1080i sets are
not all that much more these days.

Look for a VGA input so you can fed the set easily from a cheap video
card.