[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Edgy - MythWeb

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed Feb 7 01:37:19 UTC 2007

A JM wrote:
> Kubuntu is a bit lacking in an interface for changing root related
> items. Is there a way to login to a root account with access to a root
> "file manger", etc. without having to do everything via command line,
> no offense command line users??? I've got a "SpeechCrunch Calculator"
> though...
>
> Fedora had "Super User" options... I'm missing those in Ubuntu.

It's called sudo.  Ubuntu actually does things the "correct" way by not
exposing the root account by default.  It's easy enough to just "sudo su
-" and reset the password so you can log in as root.

> No firewall that I know of... from my understanding Ubuntu doesn't
> ship with one?

I honestly have no clue there.  If your web browser is giving you that
error, then either:

 1. apache isn't running (there will be error logs)
 2. a firewall is blocking traffic
 3. something is wrong with your network

From other messages you've posted since I started writing this, it
really sounds like you have some apache config issues.

You don't need the AllowOverride stuff.  That was only for the .htaccess
config, which has now been replaced by the .conf file in svn
(specifically to work around the need for both .htaccess and mythweb.conf).

-Chris