[mythtv-users] any way to 'optimize' s-video output from GeForce FX 5500?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 23:43:26 UTC 2007

On 06/02/07, Braindead <Braindead at diablops.com> wrote:
> Now that I've had this running for a while, I see lots of folks tweaking modelines and the like.  I suspect due to s-video, my options are limited (if not simply none) for tweaking.  My TV is a Sony HD rear projection TV, 1080i max if I remember correctly.  It's got component video inputs, s-video, composite and DVI.
>
> The GeForce FX 5500 only have VGA and S-video outputs.

I wouldn't use S-Video for video that is higher quality than standard
definition, due to the increased bandwidth required for HDTV which
S-Video cannot handle, and the improved picture quality due to the
colour separation of the RGB signal that component, VGA and DVI
enable.

I would try out Brian's suggestion - check your TV's input specs first
though in case it only wants DVI-D input.

On my 36" CRT I use a homebrew VGA->RGB cable that improved the
quality of the picture greatly compared to the S-Video output of my
ATI card, and cost about $10 in parts.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: