[mythtv-users] any way to 'optimize' s-video output from GeForce FX 5500?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Feb 6 21:42:42 UTC 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 2:28 PM, Braindead wrote:

> Now that I've had this running for a while, I see lots of folks
> tweaking modelines and the like.  I suspect due to s-video, my
> options are limited (if not simply none) for tweaking.  My TV is a
> Sony HD rear projection TV, 1080i max if I remember correctly.
> It's got component video inputs, s-video, composite and DVI.
>
> The GeForce FX 5500 only have VGA and S-video outputs.
>
> Is there anything I can do to tweak the output?  It's pretty good,
> doesn't bother me at all really.  I'm just starting to think about
> making things better.
>
> I suspect my only option is to upgrade the video card and drive the
> TV via component or DVI.
>
> Thanks for any tips on this subject.

I'm really not sure of this, but:

Assuming your TV is DVI-A:

A lot of video cards now come with 2 DVI connectors and an adaptor to
the HD DB-15 ("VGA") type connector.

I wonder if you could just put one of those adaptors on the TV's DVI
connector and then use a VGA-VGA cable to connect to the video card.

The adapters are pretty cheap, and hardware junkies like me have a
pile of them as you seem to get one with every video card these days.

Perhaps you could borrow an adapter and try it? Or buy one at RS or
someplace for $5?

No guarantees of course, but it *might* work.

I know it made a HUGE difference when I started feeding my 32" LCD
via the VGA connector as opposed to S-Video.