[mythtv-users] NAS RAID 5 for MythTv

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 20:28:03 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:

> Jeffery Swan wrote:
> > Does anyone know... can I use LVM over multiple NAS so that it all looks
> like a big /multimedia drive? I'll have to do some more experimenting when I
> get
> > another NAS up and running.
> >
> Yes, but why?  LVM is notoriously sensitive if a drive were to
> "disappear" such as a network problem would give, etc. The SVN version
> of Myth now supports multiple recording storage directories so there is
> no need to plan for a giant multimedia drive when it comes to recordings.
>
> Kevin

He might want it for the sole purpose of not splitting up his large Videos
directory.  I know if I ever get some money, it's going into RAID 5 storage
so I can have a large 5 TB array for all my DVDs and other videos.  I hate
that I used to get 3 different folders in MythVideo for my 3 shares.  Right
now I have an LVM'd 1TB array ( I know VERY dangerous, but it's not like I
can't get all that data back).  All my vids are on that array and I'm quite
happy.

-Lib