[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Edgy: Problem with mysql when running myth-setup for the first time

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Tue Feb 6 19:46:12 UTC 2007

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007 13:07:48 -0600
"Jean-Marc Melchior" <luxballer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am currently migrating from Fedora Core 5 to Ubuntu Edgy, the reason
> for this is that I never really liked Fedora+KDE.
> I followed the guide to installing Myth here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Edgy_Backend_Frontend
> The Guide is very good, however when I run mythtv-setup the first
> time, the terminal is flickering at first and then brings me to a GUI
> that tells me that Mythtv couldnt connect to the database, and asks me
> about Mysql Database Information, username and password. The Guide I
> followed doesnt set a Mysql password, I now changed the password to
> Mythtv. Here is the error I get:
>
> 2007-02-06 12:55:37.063 DB Error (KickDatabase):
> Query was:
> SELECT NULL;
> No error type from QSqlError?  Strange...
> 2007-02-06 12:55:37.119 Database not open while trying to load
> setting: TVVidModeWidth0
> 2007-02-06 12:55:37.120 Unable to connect to database!
> 2007-02-06 12:55:37.120 Driver error was [1/1045]:
> QMYSQL3: Unable to connect
> Database error was:
> Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
>
> QSqlQuery::exec: database not open

I *think* that when I did the ubuntu install, the password in mythtv for SQL was different than what was set in MySQL.  but that may not be your problem.  I am also thinking I may be confusing it with my mythweb install.

Pretty much that mysql answered, but does not like you at whereever you are.   A Mysql permission problem.  Very common.  You need to insure your username at your hostname is allowed by mysql.