[mythtv-users] Diskless frontend & debian

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Tue Feb 6 19:27:02 UTC 2007

Gidday,

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 21:34 -0500, Rich West wrote:
> Cristo Bolaņos wrote:
> > Has anyone created kernel and init images with debian ? Is there a
> > clear guide to do it ? :)

> More than likely, you will have to re-compile the kernel to enable (from
> http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/NFS-Root.html):
>     *  IP: kernel level autoconfiguration (CONFIG_IP_PNP)
>     * RARP support (CONFIG_IP_PNP_RARP)
>     * BOOTP support (CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP)
>     * DHCP support (CONFIG_IP_PNP_DHCP)
> #  NFS filesystem support (CONFIG_NFS_FS). Note that there is no need
> for ext2 support.
> # Root file system on NFS (CONFIG_ROOT_NFS).

If you're going to build a new kernel, I'd suggest having everything you
need to boot the kernel and mount the NFS root system *in* the kernel
(not as modules).  Not having the initrd image removes one other thing
that needs to be made to work.

I've been using PXE boot with Debian on my MythTV frontend for the past
3 (or so) years.  Works well, except for the network adapter on my VIA
Epia 10000 sucking very much.  To the point where I'm trying to convert
to a CompactFlash card but am now encountering other issues with the
BIOS not always recognising the card.

Cheers and good luck!

--
Andrew Ruthven, Wellington, New Zealand