[mythtv-users] mythtv hardware plans

Cole Brodine cbrodine at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 19:22:44 UTC 2007

I used to read PC-Gamer, and they had a hardware section that would be
a good thing to base such a wiki page off of.  Every month they listed
3 different computer systems: Budget, Intermediate, and Top of the
line.  Budget, of course, was the absolute cheapest gaming system they
thought you could get away with, still play the large majority of new
games, and have quality parts.  Intermediate was a system that most
people could build under a normal computer buying budget, which for
them was approximately $2,000 (and included a monitor, keyboard,
mouse, joystick, etc).  Top of the line had no regard for price
(within reason) and usually ended up costing around $5000 to $7000
(US).  It was the Raid 10 SATA, dual processor, huge LCD display, etc.

Sometimes they listed competing parts.  For example, if there was a
couple of good choices for a budget video card, they would list them
both and "pick one" (usually the cheap one) for their total system
price.

Perhaps we could do something like that?  Categories I would find
helpful would be dedicated Backend, dedicated frontend, and combined
FE/BE.  One for purely SD and one for HD and SD.

I think we should only do it for parts that are available brand new.
It's too hard, plus not very useful for a majority of users to list
parts that are already not for sale.  People have to be able to
substitute parts and make some of their own choices, but a base to go
off of can help.

Hope my rambling there made some sense.

The other thing that would be helpful would be to have users list
their parts in their user page on the wiki.  (I just did mine!
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:ColeSlaw Hope it helps
somebody!)