[mythtv-users] RAW support in MythGallery

Mark Chang mark.chang at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 15:00:34 UTC 2007

On 2/6/07, Tim Phipps <mythtv-users at phipps-hutton.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> I doubt you'll notice any difference between a RAW file and a JPEG on a TV
> screen, even if you have 1920x1080p. What you might notice is the extra lag
> you get dragging a massive RAW file off the disk (across a network) and
> through a decoder. You do need a decoder, it's not like FLAC which is trivial
> to unpack, RAW files need processing before display. Go look up the dcraw
> documents to see just why it takes so long.
>
> I use a Fuji S7000 in RAW mode and it handily includes a 1280x960 JPEG in the
> RAW file. I drag it out with:
> tail --bytes=+149 < "$raw" | jpegtran -optimize -copy all > "$jpg"
> I've only used a RAW file once in anger, the JPEGs are fine for viewing and
> even printing on 6"x4.5".

Tim -

Agreed on all points. The only reason for RAW support is so I don't
have to drag out the JPG and essentially create duplicates of
everything just to view pictures on my Myth box. In slideshow mode,
one would have just enough time to unpack a RAW file and get it ready
to crossfade in. Having duplicates of everything just makes my life
more cluttered :).

Not a big deal. Just a pipe dream. :)

--
Mark L. Chang