[mythtv-users] Recommendations for Backend Hardware

Brian Guilfoos mythtv at guilfoos.com
Tue Feb 6 15:00:11 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 2/3/07, Matt <skd5aner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, what I'm looking for is
>> - CPU
>> - Mobo
>> - Case
>> - RAM
>> - PSU
>> - Cooling Solutions (heatsink, fans, etc)
>>
>> I do not need:
>> - Tuners
>> - Video Card
>> - Hard Drives
>>
>> So, any feedback or ideas?
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Steveadeff#Current_Dedicated_Back_End

My backend has two AverMedia A180 cards, and one PVR500, GigE ethernet,
with NFS mounted storage and MySQL running remotely, and some old Nvidia
card (only used for setup - the system runs headless now), and it all
runs on an 850MHz Athlon with 640MB RAM.  This is more-than-adequate for
recording purposes, but it falls a little short on commflagging and
transcoding - those tasks are handled by the frontend machine.

In my case, it was using what was available, and that was an old desktop
machine.  I *think* it's got an Asus A7V-E motherboard, and I couldn't
tell you the power supply.  But it can handle what it is assigned to do,
so I've got no complaints.