[mythtv-users] Laggy time-seeks?

William Pettersson enigma at strudel-hound.com
Tue Feb 6 08:23:32 UTC 2007

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 2/5/07, William Pettersson <enigma at strudel-hound.com> wrote:
>> I've had this mythtv setup running for a while now.  I have a backend
>> with one tuner, and the hard drives.  It's an XP1700+, 512MB RAM.  Over
>> a 100MBit network we get to my frontend, a 3500+ with 2GB of RAM, and an
>> NVidia gfx card.
>> Ever since a blackout about a week ago, I've had 2-3 seconds of lag
>> between pressing "right" or "left", and the video catching up.  During
>> these 2-3 seconds, audio continues going as normal, while video freezes.
>>   After this, it seeks and starts playing at the expected time.
>>
>> The backend runs at 0.00 to 0.05 load averages.  The frontend is roughly
>> the same.  According to 'top', the backend uses less than 5% CPU
>> (including mysqld and nfs).  The frontend uses around 10% of the CPU
>> while watching (standard def. digital).
>> The network does support 100MBit, while watching TV I can also get
>> transfer rates of 9.4 MB/s, and I can break 10 MB/s if I don't do
>> anything on the network.
>>

>> Anyone able to think of reasons behind my lag during timeseeks?
>
> have you run optimize_mythdb.pl lately? (you should really be running
> it once a day if your not already.)

I hadn't, no.  On a side-note, does anyone know where Gentoo installs this?

Anyway, I found in in the tarball, and ran it.  It apparently optimized
some tables.  However, while improving performance slightly (maybe?
partially?  a little bit?), it fixed all my problems.

See what I did there?

Thanks Steven :)