[mythtv-users] MythWeb: asx stream is kinda `choppy`

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Feb 6 06:09:35 UTC 2007

* On Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 09:00:07PM -0800, Chris Petersen wrote:
> The biggest problem with a *good* implementation of on-the-fly
> transcoding is caching of the transcoded files.  I'd rather not do this
> in mythweb, since it would mean writing a cache-management routine,
> along with having to update my personal backup scripts to ignore things
> like flv, avi, etc.
>
> Instead, having the backend be aware of transcoded files (or better yet,
> transcode them itself) would mean that auto-expire, etc. could be made
> aware of the other files and manage removing them, etc.

This would fall under the plan with the recordedfile table idea that I've
been working on which would allow you to store multiple files per
recording.  You could have a user job that automatically transcoded a
recording to .flv and then inserted a record into the recordedfile table.
MythWeb would notice that there was a .flv file (by looking at a type or
description field) and could allow the user to stream that file
via MythWeb.  Files in this table would be accounted for in Myth the same
way that the original recording file is.  The would be deleted with the
original file, their space would be taken into account by the Auto-Expirer,
you could play any one you wanted from the Watch Recordings screen, etc..

--
Chris Pinkham