[mythtv-users] XvMC and OpenGL requirements on Via SP1300

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Feb 5 22:48:59 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-05 at 17:10 -0500, R. G. Newbury wrote:
> I have been compiling SVN builds for about 2 years now, and have had the
>   Nvidia color hack entries in xorg.conf and the database. But I always
> had a grey OSD: this with a Via SP13000.
> Until I compiled and installed SVN12696. Suddenly the OSD is blue. NO
> IDEA why this suddenly works. But thank you, thank you whoever!
>
> However, I do have a different question:
>
> the mythtv configure switch --enable-xvmc-opengl appears to be strictly
> tied to nvidia hardware: it appears  to require libNVIDIA etc.
>
> Can anyone tell me if xvmc-opengl is strictly an nvidia thing, or is
> there an error in configure/

It's strictly an nVidia thing. nVidia informally proposed
it for inclusion in the spec and it was rejected by the
X.Org folks. The same thing could be achieved by using
the X Composite and Render extensions, but this hasn't
been implemented in MythTV yet. This would only work on
the nVidia cards anyway, it requires driver support which
only nVidia has implemented.

-- Daniel