[mythtv-users] OT: Old Linux (was MythTV : Thank You)

Gary Dawes gary.dawes at gmail.com
Mon Feb 5 21:44:25 UTC 2007

I remember my first PC (rather than my first computer) which was a Zenith
8086 back in 1988, running just DOS with 2 5.25 floppy disks and a mono
monitor. god alone knows what I actually used it for! I remember upgrading
the memory from 128K to 256K by actually buying and inserting the memory
chips, in the dil package 2 lines of pins on a black rectangular chip, into
the sockets on the motherboard.

at the time at work we had just gotten a fileserver with 640K of memory and
20 megabytes of hard disk space. A size which I can bearly comprehend these
days. btw we had none of this girly ethernet, we used token ring. I can also
remember using computers with 8 inch floppy disks, as well as cards and
punched tape. I could actually read punched paper tape at one point - how
sad is that!

Gary, who is older than he likes to remember