[mythtv-users] MythMusic DecoderMad

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Mon Feb 5 03:04:03 UTC 2007

On 4 Feb 2007, at 18:58, Keith Millar wrote:
>>    Next question:  is the path to the music files, from the Suse FE's
>> vantage point, the same as it is on the Gentoo FE/BE ?   That is
>> to say,
>> if the music is stored in '/var/music' on the FE/BE, is that
>> directory
>> mounted as such (/var/music) on the Suse FE machine?  This path
>> (path to
>> music files) is stored in the database, along with the actual
>> filename
>> of the mp3 file in question.   When the FE tries to play an mp3 file,
>> the 'music directory' (/var/music/) and the filename
>> (playthis.mp3) are
>> concatenated (/var/music/playthis.mp3), and then the file is opened.
>
> The paths to the music files are the same on both machines
>
> I have changed permissions on my music directory to allow access from
> all and still the same error message.

I'm sorry I can't help otherwise, but it is best practice to prove
stuff like this in your postings. It's not that I don't believe you
but simply that a posting that expressly demonstrates your issue /
symptoms / statements can help others to see things that they
otherwise might not have considered, or that you (being too "close"
to the problem) may possibly have overlooked.

EG, on each machine:
   $ hostname
(proves that you ARE in fact showing output from the different machines)
   $ ls -ld /var/music
(shows permissions & ownership for the /var/music directory)
   $ ls -l /var/music
(shows permissions & ownership for the contents of the /var/music
directory)
   $ grep music /etc/fstab /etc/exports
(shows how the /var/music directory is exported & mounted if by NFS;
otherwise show samba.conf; mounting / exporting options & permissions
are important)

I have many times found that it takes me just a moment to start a
reply "yes, it's definitely all correct" and in the following 30 or
60 minutes I take logging into the machine and demonstrating that
"it's definitely all correct" I find otherwise, or perhaps the cause
of the problem. Other times comprehensive output has enabled another
poster to quickly see what I've done wrong and reply with a single
sentence which immediately solves my issue (or which immediately
sends me looking in the right place).

Stroller.