[mythtv-users] Ubuntu and Nvidia drivers - not quite to the point of tears

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sun Feb 4 21:51:52 UTC 2007

On Sunday 04 February 2007 15:30, Michael Tiller wrote:
> I have a problem with this process.  I know the gdm start/stop part.  But
> my problem is that when I install the NVIDIA drivers they install just fine
> but when I reboot the X server won't start.  Has anybody run into this
> before? My hack solution is to reinstall them each them (surprisingly, this
> works) but it is very annoying.  If anybody has any idea what is going on,
> I'm all ears.

Check your log files, and in particular /var/log/Xorg.0.log. The relevant
information probably won't be on the last line or two, but it should be near
the end. There should be some sort of clue in there about why X isn't
starting. One strong possibility that springs to mind is that the nvidia
kernel module isn't loading. (You can test for this specifically by
typing "lsmod | grep nvidia" and checking for output that begins
with "nvidia" -- if that's not present, then the nvidia kernel module isn't
loaded.) You could modify various configuration files to get the module to
load, but the best way to do this depends on your distribution, and I don't
recall off the top of my head what that would be for Ubuntu.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com