[mythtv-users] mythtv hardware plans

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Sun Feb 4 12:53:53 UTC 2007

On 4 Feb 2007, at 02:57, Brian Schott wrote:
>> - SATA ~400GB+ hard drive
>>   I will likely add more storage down the road at some point. I tend
>> to be a hoarder :)

> This might draw some flames, but instead of hardware RAID,I'd
> recommend you use LVM to create a concatenated partition across
> multiple drives ...
> You can add drives later and grow the filesystem

Mind if I ask why you suggest this rather than the new storage groups
feature within Myth?

LVM is very useful for allowing the o/s & applications to see a
number of drives as a single mount-point / directory, but a failed
drive can surely h0se all of the recordings on all of the drives. As
I understand it "storage groups" allows Myth to use several
directories for storing its files, and the failure of one drive
leaves recordings on the others unaffected. Basically, as I
understand it, "storage groups" is a more "Mythy" way of using
multiple drives in a non-redundant way (I am not so retentive as to
regard my TV recordings as important enough to justify RAID) than LVM.

> I've got 1.6TB (I just tell my girlfriend that hard drives are like
> shoes :-)!

LOL!

Stroller.