[mythtv-users] MythTV : Thank You

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 4 05:24:08 UTC 2007

On Feb 3, 2007, at 9:48 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:

> * On Sat Feb 03, 2007 at 08:52:46PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>> out "format 25 floppy disks". Darkstar and later Slakware, way before
>> RedHat 4.2 came out, I think that was the first RH, the 42 reference
>> being pretty obvious.
>
> As someone who started out running pre 1.x kernels and the SLS
> (Softlanding
> Linux System) distribution and then went on to Slackware and RedHat, I
> thought I'd mention that your memory is failing you a little. :)
>
>     ftp://archive.download.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/

Not surprising, the failing memory I mean.

Now that I think about it more I think I started with slakware in mid
1994. The first RedHat I encountered was on the 4 (later 5) CD set
that had several distros on it, I forget the name but I had a
subscription to it.

I also remember the early Linux Expos, first on the Duke Campus and
later at the convention center in downtown Raleigh. I forget what
year it was but I remember the year (2nd or 3rd Expo) when Sun showed
up and surprised everyone. I remember buying some Alpha machines from
DGC Computers at one of those expos. The first Expo I went to was the
year the Cobalt Qube came out.

I remember having an account with Panix in NYC when they were running
A/UX on a Mac in Brooklyn, before they moved to Manhattan and went to
Sun gear. Their entire system's link to the net was a 9600 baud SLIP
line shared by all the users, and you had to wait while it dialed in
and came up if you wanted to use it - usually for an "Archie" search
and then an FTP transfer. We had Mosaic but it was pretty primitive
and there were not too many sites, and graphics on a modem were
pretty slow.

But as you said my memory is failing, and this is not the history
list :-)

Thanks for the refresher.