[mythtv-users] Ubuntu and Nvidia drivers - not quite to the point of tears

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 4 02:29:02 UTC 2007

On Feb 3, 2007, at 7:23 PM, robin wrote:

> On 2/3/07, Rich Osman <rich at osman.com> wrote:
>> I have Ubuntu 6.1 installed off the "alternate" CD so I could get
>> an XFS
>> filesystem.  I have an NVIDIA 6200LE PCI-express card that I'm
>> trying to
>> install the Nvidia binary driver set for.
>>
>> I can't figure out how to stop X (!)  I need to stop it to do the
>> NVIDIA
>> install and I can't figure out how to.  Since Debian always
>> operates at
>> runlevel 2 I can't change runlevels to stop it. The NVIDIA docs
>> say that
>> I should disable X so that I can reboot to a CLI and manually
>> start X.
>> Sensible, but I do want to be able to go back to full graphical
>> for Myth
>> operation.  This machine will be my master backend (and a frontend,
>> local DNS cache, DHCP Server, and a few other light duty tasks.) I've
>> seen something mentioned about Upstart, but I can't seem to find
>> it on
>> my system.
>>
>> How on earth do I temporarily disable X through reboots?

Can you ssh into the machine and get a shell prompt that way ?

Or, I think it's some combination of ALT F-keys and perhaps SHIFT
that should bring you to a login prompt.

Setting up machine to boot into a graphical environment automatically
is stupid IMHO. It's so easy to just type startx when you want to go
graphical. But I guess that's part of Ubuntu trying to make itself
"easy" for Windows types and thus make it a real pain for Unix types :-)