[mythtv-users] MythTV: Configuration

Lan Barnes lan at falleagle.net
Sun Feb 4 00:40:07 UTC 2007

Thanks for the reply.

On Sat, February 3, 2007 4:15 pm, Nick Morrott wrote:

> This could be due to a mysql.txt configuration problem, or a MySQL
> user access restriction. Your console output would be most valuable.

I'll try to get it (assuming a hand start of mythbackend with redirected
output is what we're after here).

I'm beginning to suspect that my configuration confused all the services,
especially mysql. After the install I changed passwords, bounced around on
IP address, and probably left mysql in an untenable position. I'll dig out
my mysql book and maybe just open it up for everyone as a first test. (I'm
much more familiar with Postgres, so this is experimental for me.)

> mysql.txt can reside in:
>
> [1] /.mythtv/mysql.txt
> [2] /home/$MYTHTV_USER/.mythtv/mysql.txt
> [3] /root/.mythtv/mysql.txt
> [4] /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
> [5] /usr/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
> [6] /usr/local/share/mythtv/mysql.txt
> [7] /usr/local/etc/mythtv/mysql.txt
>
> If mythbackend is starting up automatically I'd start by checking in
> location [1]. This file can reside off the root directory if no $HOME
> environment variable is configured when the init script runs - $HOME
> becomes /. Also make sure to check the home directory location for the
> user you are starting mythtv-setup with.

I'm doing everything as user mythtv and am checking its home.

> Absolutely. The only real reasons to reboot or reinstall are
> installing/switching to a new kernel, system instability, or a
> security breach. Sometimes, a reinstall may seem like the best option.
> However, in the hands of an suitably experienced user nearly all
> problems on a Linux machine can be fixed when the system is live.

Comforting.

I grant you that I am new and as lazy as the next person, but I can read
and am willing to. It's just hard to know where to start. Is the MythTV
Hacks book of any use?

> Nothing there strikes me as particuarly wrong, or useful - the console
> output from mythbackend or mythtv-setup would be more useful in
> diagnosing this database problem. BTW, did you have a disc in the DVD
> drive at startup?

Yes <blush> ... and it's a music CD. _One_ mystery solved!

--
Lan Barnes

SCM Analyst              Linux Guy
Tcl/Tk Enthusiast        Biodiesel Brewer