[mythtv-users] mythtv hardware plans

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Feb 4 00:07:51 UTC 2007

On 2/3/07, jason maxwell <decepticon at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > adding to Brian's always good advice...
> >
> > Geee, thanks.

> > > Look into the mATX boards with built in GeForce 6100/6150 cards. There
> > > are a few with DVI output for your HDTV. They will also have SPDIF
> > > output on the back plate or with header pins that you can get an
> > > adapter for ($15). This is a nice all in one solution that can be
> > > easily turned into a standalone frontend later if you decide to go in
> > > this direction.
> > >
> > > You'll want a minimum of an Athlon x2 for a combined system.
> >
> > I can't recall hearing anyone complain that a system had too fast a
> > CPU, too much RAM or too much storage, although heat, power and noise
> > are also considerations.
> >
> > If you keep your eyes open you can often find some real deals, it's
> > worth the time to look around.
> >
> I've got plenty of time, no hurry. Good advice from everyone so far, Thanks.
> The pcHDTV cards are designed specifically for Linux (and not
> windoze), which makes me smile, so the extra bucks are worth it to me.
> AFAICT, the 5500 will work for HD and SD channels, so no need for a
> separate analog only tuner.

One of the developers of the HDHomeRun is active on the dev list
(albeit for HDHR issues, but he does make sure it works right in
Myth), so I would say that the HDHR is not only designed for linux,
but in my opinion from using the HD3000, more so than the pcHDTV
cards. It also has a few other advantages over the pcHDTV cards (such
as not being plagued with problems related to the power supply) and
that you don't need to run a cable line to you myth machine (not that
this necessarily applies to you).

as well, the pcHDTV cards will require cpu power to encode, which may
or may not be an issue depending on the CPU you end up with. I don't
know if the quality ends up being any better than a  PVR card though.
Its just that for the price of a PVR-150 its just nice knowing you
don't have to worry about using your CPU.

> I have an APC UPS on my TV right now, and have another standing by for
> the myth box. Definitely a good investment. Also, I have a few
> "small", <100G IDE drives i can use for the OS, so I will plan on
> that.

good work =)

--
Steve