[mythtv-users] HD Woes (so close to working, dual-channel RAM question)

Nate Crosno nate at crosno.net
Sun Feb 4 00:01:14 UTC 2007

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2007, at 8:52 AM, Nate Crosno wrote:
>
>> I'm using this board with Nnidia chipset:
>> JetWay J939GT3-PTD Socket 939 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD
>>     http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813153047
>
> That link doesn't show that particular board, might be obsolete by
> now. I suspect from  the numbering scheme that you have an nForce3
> chipset though, which should be OK. The Jetway boards are not the
> best but are certainly a bargain for the $$$.

Wow, they must have just taken that off today. I swear that link was working
early this morning.  Anyway, here is a link directly to the PDF from Jetway's
site: http://www.jetwaycomputer.com/spec/939GT3-PTD.pdf
It says the chipset is nFoece410 MCP(MCP51G)

> Make sure "threads" is in your USE= line in your /etc/make.conf then
> do an "emerge uDN world" which will re-compile anything that can take
> advantage of threading, like libraries, ffmpeg, qt etc.

Thanks. I will do that.

> Well that's a decent miminalist X server. You might check your V-Sync
> settings in your nVidia server settings (disable "sync to vblank")
> and the Myth F/E sync settings, that can increase CPU a lot but it
> depends on a lot of things.

I'm going to have to sit down and make a spreadsheet of all the various options
to toggle off and on. I've lots track of all the things I have tried.

> I'd still think about O/Cing if the mobo alows it.

The MB is capable of it, but I have never done that before. After a little
reading I am more confused than ever (ram timing vs core, etc). I need to do
more research. If you have any guides that you are particularly fond of, I am
all ears.

I may still go for another 512mb module to try and get the dual-channel going.
I'll just buy it locally so I can return it if it makes no difference.

Thanks,
Nate