[mythtv-users] Followed Digital Sound setup, many how-to's, and still completely lost.

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Sat Feb 3 18:10:29 UTC 2007

Rich West wrote:
> *sigh*  I am reluctantly sending this to the listt, but no matter what I
> try, I cannot seem to get consistent results from any of the "digital
> sound" how-to's.
>
> Goal:
> Pump all sound out via SPDIF and let my receiver do the work.
>
> Near Goal:
> Hey, I would be content if I just had to switch the input on my receiver
> from the TV setting (L/R stereo in)) to my DVD setting (Optical 5.1
> Audio in).
>
> What I have tried so far:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound#ALSA_Utilities,
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dolby_Digital_Out_(AC3,_SPDIF) (I have FC5,
> but I thought some of it might apply), along with following a couple of
> threads in the list.
>
> Here's where I am at:
> <..snip..>
> Although I've read the Wiki's, How-To's, and other postings, I just feel
> like I am missing something simple here...

Muhaha.. I just got things working.  I missed the thread from "Josh
<TwoOneSix at thatclothingco.com>" titled "Re: [mythtv-users] M-Audio
Revolution 5.1 and FC6 [Working!]".

The piece I was missing was (sort-of) listed in his message.  I needed
to set the default audio-output to ALSA:default along with the
passthrough device to ALSA:default.

Watching LiveTV and watching recordings now outputs via the SPDIF
optical connection (interestingly, my receiver flips to "Dolby
Prologic"), and watching DVD Video's also outputs the sound via SPDIF
optical and the receiver properly sees the incoming stream as AC3.

Interestingly, though, MythMusic no longer outputs anything.. Gotta look
in to that.

BYW: Thanks Josh!

-Rich