[mythtv-users] mythtv hardware plans

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 18:03:03 UTC 2007

On 2/3/07, Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:
> On the whole, I'd say that 5.1 output in Linux is "bleeding edge" for most
> hardware. I'd recommend first trying any hardware you already own with
> appropriate external connectors, be that your motherboard or a separate sound
> card. If that doesn't work, and if you've got an SPDIF header but no external
> outputs on your motherboard and/or a separate sound card, buy a bracket and
> try it. If THAT doesn't work, then buy another sound card.

I wouldn't say its bleeding edge, you just need a chipset that is
supported in ALSA, which is a good number of them. Most onboard sound
chips will work fine for 5.1 and if you happen to luck out, theres
quite a few cheap PCI cards known to work quite well. The Realtek ALC
series seems to be quite well supported in ALSA, which is what most of
the nForce boards use these days.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!