[mythtv-users] New install and my problmes.

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:07:52 UTC 2007

On 02/02/07, Damian Surr <damian at gingermagic.com> wrote:
> Does this shed any more light?

As a very inexperienced Linux user, one of the most important aspects
of your system you should come to rely on is the logging output
provided from programs (such as the mythbackend log output you've
provided below) and your system log (syslog). Problems which can have
you scratching your head can sometimes (and hopefully in this case) be
resolved quickly just by checking your logfiles.

I would also strongly recommend you consider picking up a Ubuntu book
(or take the tune to read the Ubunu site) that will methodically take
you through how Linux (and any Ubuntu special features) works and how
all the pieces fit together on your system.

Installing MythTV for a newcomer to Linux is a *real* baptism of fire,
so do not be put off (and congrats for plugging away still) :)

> damian at MythBox:~$ mythbackend &

<snip>

> /var/lib/mythtv//nfslockfile.lock: Permission denied
> Unable to open lockfile!
> Be sure that '/var/lib/mythtv/' exists and that both
> the directory and that file are writeable by this user.

Does the directory exist? This is where MythTV is going to try and
store your TV recordings.

> damian at MythBox:~$ mythfrontend

<snip>

> 2007-02-02 19:00:54.583 Connecting to backend server: 127.0.0.1:6543
> (try 1 of 5)
> 2007-02-02 19:00:54.584 Connection timed out.
>                        You probably should modify the Master Server
>                        settings in the setup program and set the
>                        proper IP address.

Have you restarted mythbackend before running mythfrontend? The proper
IP address the error message refers to is the 'real' IP address of the
system the backend is running on (such as 192.168.1.10), not the local
loopback address of 127.0.0.1 which is what you currently have
specified in mythtv-setup.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: