[mythtv-users] Where to get a S/PDIF adapter?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Feb 2 19:33:00 UTC 2007

Rich West wrote:
> Steven Adeff wrote:

>>> I don't have a Biostar motherboard, but I do have 3-pin S/PDIF connector
>>> on my motherboard.  Another person on the list referred me to this URL:
>>> http://www.vidabox.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9
>>>
>>> It is a three pin S/PDIF connector where the individual pins can be
>>> re-arranged to match your motherboard configuration.
>>>
>>> I just ordered one.. figured I would give it a shot. :)
>>>
>>> -Rich
>>>

>> Wow, optical too! Please provide a "review" of it once you get it working.
>>

> Will do!  My goal is to use the optical audio out to my receiver and
> remove my standalone DVD player from the entire setup. :)

Got the adapter yesterday and started tinkering with it today.  It was
very easy to re-arrange the pins to match the orientation on my
motherboard.  Unfortunately, with the Shuttle SK21G, the socket didn't
quite match the connector on the SPDIF cable.  After several attempts at
getting the cable to fit in to the socket on the motherboard, the result
was that I had to clip off and file down a plastic orientation 'bump' in
the molded plastic of the connector, file down the sides of the
connector to fit in to the slightly smaller socket on the motherboard,
and file down the end of the connector to the the point where the metal
of the individual wire clips were exposed to provide proper contact with
the obscenely short pins in the connector on my motherboard.

It's likely you won't have to go through the same issues since the
Shuttle looks to have used a non-standard socket.

I was able to get 5.1 surround sound out of it almost right away (over
the optical) via mplayer (no .asoundrc file needed).  I can't seem to
get MythTV to talk to it at all (either via playing the same DVD video,
watching a recording, watching live tv, or playing music).  I followed a
couple of how-to's (I'm running FC5) and a bunch of postings on the list
in an effort to direct all audio out via the SPDIF adapter, but I
couldn't get anywhere with it. :(

So.. it seems like getting the adapter in place is only 1/2 of the puzzle.

-Rich