[mythtv-users] XvMC simply not compatible with some video?

matthew.garman at gmail.com matthew.garman at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 17:38:54 UTC 2007

I've been fighting XvMC for a while now.  Searching the net, I found
this interesting post:

    http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-533328-highlight-.html

Note the comment by Gusar, who says, "BBC HD uses mpeg4-avc/h264
video. But XvMC is only for mpeg2, so it won't work with BBC."

That made me wonder about *other* broadcast HD.  Is there a table
anywhere of what OTA HD channels are mpeg2 and which aren't (or,
more generally, a table of formats used by major networks in their
over-the-air broadcasts)?

The HD recording I was working with was "The Office" (US version)
recorded via NBC over-the-air in Chicago (pcHDTV-5500).

I only recently realized that XvMC only works with MPEG2 (via
testing XvMC with mplayer).  It never occurred to me that some video
might not broadcast MPEG2.

If we could create a table of channels and their broadcast format,
and put it on the Wiki, it might save some folks a lot of
hair-pulling!

As a side note, going forward, I can see where it would be nice if
graphics cards supported XvMC for more "modern" video codecs, e.g.,
h264, divx, etc.

Matt