[mythtv-users] New install and my problmes.

Damian Surr damian at gingermagic.com
Fri Feb 2 16:09:05 UTC 2007

>> The only way to get administrator
>> privileges at the command-line level is to use sudo."
>>
> sudo bash

Ah, right. I tried what you said with that ..

damian at MythBox:~$ sudo bash
Password:
root at MythBox:~# /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend stop
Stopping MythTV server: mythbackend No /usr/bin/mythbackend found
running; none killed.
.
root at MythBox:~# /etc/init.d/mythtv-backend start
Starting MythTV server: mythbackendSession management error:
Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
.
root at MythBox:~#

I guess I've broken whatever backend was running as I'm sure it was

>> damian at MythBox:~$ mysql -u mythtv -p mythtvconverg
>> Enter password:
>> ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
>> '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
>>

> what is the output of
>
> netstat -an | grep 3306
>
> and
>
> ps auxww | grep mysqld | grep -v grep
>
> and
>
> grep -i bind-address /etc/mysql/my.cnf

No output for the first two and the bind address for the last one:

damian at MythBox:~$ netstat -an | grep 3306
damian at MythBox:~$ ps auxww | grep mysqld | grep -v grep
damian at MythBox:~$ grep -i bind-address /etc/mysql/my.cnf
#  bind-address         = 127.0.0.1
damian at MythBox:~$

Does this offer any clues?
I really appreciate the help!