[mythtv-users] Scanlines when Panning on Regular TV

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 01:53:42 UTC 2007

On 02/02/07, Matt Gibson <diwelf at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have searched and searched and not found a definitive answer to my
> question, so I will ask it here.
>
> When I am watching tv, recorded shows, dvd's, etc - I see a weird
> "flicker" or "scanline" when the movement pans from left to right. I
> notice it especially in shows like CSI or Las Vegas where they use
> fast cuts, and intensive action sequences. It's not always there, but
> it's definatly more prominant when the scene is panning left to right.
>
> When a scene pans from left to right, or right to left, I can see the
> scanning coming up from the bottom of the tv and it creates a visible
> line of where the two frames are and where they are going. It's kind
> of hard to explain.

This is a very common issue. The lines you are seeing are interlacing artefacts.

> I assume this is something due to my resolution or something, but I am
> not sure how to fix it. It's kind of annoying. Any ideas would be
> greatly appreciated!

<snip>

>                         -> TV Settings
>                                 -> Playback
>                                         Deinterlace: NO

Turn on deinterlacing in mythfrontend setup, and these lines will go away.

If you are outputting to a TV (not to a monitor which is a progressive
device) you can avoid having to deinterlace video by ensuring that you
output a proper interlaced signal to the TV from the video card, but
this can be hard to achieve. It's often much quicker just to turn on
deinterlacing.

Nick
--
MythTV Official wiki: