[mythtv-users] Sound corruption then hard lock when recording from firewire

Chris Weiland hobbiticus at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 00:41:42 UTC 2007

I'm not exactly sure what's causing this, since I am unable to investigate
after the problem occurs, but there is definately something very wrong going
on with my firewire recording.

After a few minutes to close to an hour of watching live tv (it may happen
with recordings too, but I havn't tested that with confidence yet) through
my cable box that is connected via firewire, the audio output will suddenly
turn into a high pitched whine.  This seems to happen completely at random.
However, the video remains intact.  I seem to be able to continue watching
for as long as I like as long as I don't switch channels or stop watching,
and my CPU and ram usage don't seem to be effected.

As soon as I tune off of that channel, no matter how I do it, my computer
becomes completely unresponsive - mouse freezes,  video freezes, numlock
doesn't respond, can't kill X or switch to a virtual console - nothing.  I
have to reboot to get back my system.  What's stranger is that if I go to
playback the live tv recording of what I was watching, the audio is still
good, even when I was just hearing the whine.

I don't know which logs to look at for this.  I don't have much experience
when it comes to troubleshooting hard lockups like this, so I don't even
know where to start.

My system:
Asus M2N-E motherboard (nForce 570 chipset)
AMD64 3800+
2 Gb ram
GeForce 7600GT (PCI-E)
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
pcHDTV 5500 tuner
Scientific Atlanta 3250 HD box connected to my SB Audigy 2 ZS's firewire
port
Debian echt (testing), using the debian package from
www.debian-multimedia.org's apt source for MythTV.  I believe this was
created from an svn snapshot from early december.
Kernel 2.6.20-rc5 preempt (tried with/without APIC/IO-APIC with the same
results)
I'm still running a 32 bit kernel.

Any ideas?