[mythtv-users] Everything looks fine until I try to play something

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Thu Feb 1 15:17:13 UTC 2007

On Thursday 01 February 2007 03:20, mythmail at gmail.com wrote:
> followed the guide at  https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV for
> installing a combined frontend/backend.  Everything seemed to be
> working fine, except that when I try to view a video file or DVD the
> resolution gets messed up and half the picture is off the screen.  I
> have no idea what is going on.

I've got two suggestions:

1) Change your X resolution. Sometimes running at a too-high resolution will
   cause video playback problems of various types.

2) Check your settings for using (or not using) the same resolution for
   playback as for the menu screen. I'm afraid I don't recall precisely where
   this option is located, but it should be available somewhere. If this
   option is checked, un-check it or modify the settings for the target
   resolutions for your common recording resolutions. If it's not checked, it
   might be a convenient way to test target resolutions instead of mucking
   with your X configuration, or even using this setting instead of changing
   the X configuration.

--
Rod Smith
http://www.rodsbooks.com