[mythtv-users] backend crashes

junk junk at giantblob.com
Thu Feb 1 08:23:14 UTC 2007

Bruce Taber wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 22:27 +0000, junk wrote:
>
>> Bruce Taber wrote:
>>

>>> Check into the usage of XFS further. There is a noted problem with XFS,
>>> LVM, and sizes of partition > something. I don't know what that
>>> something is. I was having these types of problems and worse. The worse
>>> was that my system would unexpectedly hang completely. Couldn't ssh it
>>> and couldn't see the console. I finally set it up so the console
>>> wouldn't blank and caught some error messages. Sure enough XFS was
>>> peppered all around in the messages.
>>> My one video partition was XFS. That was cleared of all recordings and
>>> files and reformatted to EXT3. All of the crashes, hangs, and mysterious
>>> behavior has been eliminated.
>>>

>> I'm not seeing anything specifically about XFS from dmesg or in the
>> backend log file - where should I look for XFS related messages?
>>
>> -- jeek
>>
> I was seeing the messages on my console screen. Especially, when the
> system locked. Kernel error messages spewed until the system was reset.

OK. Pretty sure it's not the same problem then - I don't see any console
messages at all and I'm not running LVM. Also, I *think* it was
happening before I reformatted everything as XFS - problem is I've tried
changing so many things now without making notes that I can't be certain...

One thing is certain now though - it happens even when the backend is
not recording - I've hacked mythtv/libs/libmythtv/dvbrecorder.cpp to log
when it starts and stops recording and the log for last night looks like
this:

Starting up as the master server.
START RECORDING...
Starting up as the master server.
START RECORDING...
Starting up as the master server.
START RECORDING...
Starting up as the master server.
START RECORDING...
Starting up as the master server.
START RECORDING...
Starting up as the master server.
START RECORDING...
Starting up as the master server.
START RECORDING...
Starting up as the master server.
START RECORDING...
Starting up as the master server.
START RECORDING...
Starting up as the master server.
START RECORDING...
Starting up as the master server.
START RECORDING...
Starting up as the master server.
START RECORDING...
CLOSE
FINISH
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.
Starting up as the master server.

The first few times it dies repeatedly mid-recording ('START RECORDING'
with no 'CLOSE'/'FINISH' followed by starting up again). Then it
continues to repeatedly restart long after the recording has finished.
Next step is to try and get it to fail under the debugger, I guess. I'll
just try running it manually for now - it's failing often enough at the
moment that I should be able to catch it.

-- jeek