[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: Dothan Centrino M unbelievably slow?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 19:42:15 UTC 2007

My friend had a laptop he bought last year (Acer Aspire 3620) and the
screen died on him, so he let me have it and I'm trying to turn it
into a frontend for my bedroom but I'm finding that it seems to be
really slow.

Now, I can't get speedstep-centrino working on it because I guess its
really buggy or something, what I'm finding on google is everyone has
to recompile their kernel after modifying the speedstep-centrino file.
BUT, x86info -mhz is showing the laptop is running at 1.6Ghz.

But when I try and playback a simple AVI (downloaded Top Gear for
instance) its too slow to handle it. As well, running top it shows
that top itself is taking about 10-20% CPU%?!!

So I think something seriously wrong is going on here but I can't
figure out what. Anyone have any idea or is this processor just
rediculously slow?

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -