[mythtv-users] CentOS 5.1 support

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Dec 31 09:28:44 UTC 2007

On Mon, Dec 31, 2007 at 12:18:10PM +1100, Phill Edwards wrote:
> > One caveat when installing MythTV, you'll either have to
> > use the 'testing' repo at atrpms or download a few packages from atrpms
> > manually (PIL, libFLAC8, perl-XML-Twig). This is because Myth requires newer
> > versions than what shipped with RHEL and atrpms stable doesn't replace
> > packages that are in the distro.
>
> I'm going to reinstall my Fedora box soon and move to Centos5.1.
> What's the general feeling from people about enabling the testing repo
> from atrpms? Is it safe to do this, or would it be better to install
> these packages manually?

Usually the testing repo is for testing stuff. Ever since I'm abusing
it for moving into it parts that replace RHEL/CentOS packages it has
been redefined a bit as no real "testing" items make it into it much
these days.

I would enable it, see what yum update wants to do and judge on
that. After you're done, disable it again, to be safe in the future if
the repo's meaning returns back.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net