[mythtv-users] CentOS 5.1 support

Markus Espenhain markus at espenhain.org
Mon Dec 31 01:26:04 UTC 2007

Hello Phill,

Phill Edwards wrote:
>> One caveat when installing MythTV, you'll either have to
>> use the 'testing' repo at atrpms or download a few packages from atrpms
>> manually (PIL, libFLAC8, perl-XML-Twig). This is because Myth requires newer
>> versions than what shipped with RHEL and atrpms stable doesn't replace
>> packages that are in the distro.
>
> I'm going to reinstall my Fedora box soon and move to Centos5.1.
> What's the general feeling from people about enabling the testing repo
> from atrpms? Is it safe to do this, or would it be better to install
> these packages manually?
I have installed centos 5.1 and mythtv works fine.
I have installed mythtv by using atrpms, but it is IMHO better to
disable and enable this repo explicit with the
command 'yum --enablerepo=atrpms install/update <packet>'

In this repo some rpm-packets of the
fedore-core repository are with a higher version number replaced.
In some circumstances some problems could occur with other rpms and
their dependency.

Greets

Markus