[mythtv-users] 802.11n for a frontend?

migmog andrew at migmog.com
Mon Dec 31 00:57:38 UTC 2007

On 31/12/2007, John D. Friesen <john at frieware.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I`ll start figuring out parts for a
completely silent FE then.

You could do worse than:
Fanless mini-itx motherboard with onboard everything and tv-out
512MB RAM (more is a waste on dedicated box),
Pico-PSU tiny and silent power supply<http://mini-itx.com/store/?c=10#p1832>
USB or PCI Wifi adapter,
IDE->Flash adapter + 4GB flash card for linux - quicker than a USB stick
Microsoft MCE USB remote
Minimyth
<http://linpvr.org>
Just to scotch comments above, I live in a crowded apartment block in the
UK, there are 16 Wifi networks in range according to netstumbler, I never
get better than 30% throughput on the connection, yet I get stutter-free SD
playback on my wifi laptop using MythTVPlayer

My frontend box recently died. It was connected by ethernet and netbooted
but otherwise looked like the one I listed above.

Good luck