[mythtv-users] HD and cable

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Mon Dec 31 00:25:21 UTC 2007

A JM wrote:
> So, the problem is more frequency related???
>
> If you were going to try and combine the "over the air" locals and
> cable what would you use? a simple splitter in reverse or do they make
> something different for combining signals I've seen one for satellite
> and antenna's a diplexer...?
Recently there has been a thorough discussion  on this. Sorry for not
remembering the  thread....
Conclusion, in short, is that with equipment you can buy easily you will
most likely end up disturbing the cable signal of your neighbors when
you try to combine the cable and the OTA signal into 1 cable.

> When you say the "frequencies might be the same" would that be only
> the local channel frequencies or possibly a different channel on cable
> might match up with the over the air frequency of a local channel? If
> it's locals then that would be ideal...
Anything is possible. You cannot predict which channel will use the same
frequency, and it is very likely that frequency overlap will be present.
And in all cases where frequency overlap is present, none of the
overlapping frequencies will be watchable (be they analog or digital)

> Given that the tv only has a single coax input what was the
> manufacturer thinking and why include "over the air" as an option, it
> seems kind of stupid...
cost... cost... TV's come in feature ranges.... one with only 1 coax
input is cheaper than one with 2.... so the manufacturer is likely
building both, and selling them to different market segments at
different prices (and he does have different cost in R&D and
manufacturing). The cost is not so much the connector as well as the
silicon behind the connector.

> My other set I have does a scan on cable and there are no HD locals
> that show up so I am guessing that would be the case on my new set as
> well.
If the set is not HD capable, it may well ignore HD signals if they are
present.