[mythtv-users] Confused about secondary backend storage - howto use it (trunk)?

Jose Bernardo Silva jose.bandos at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 22:16:57 UTC 2007

On Dec 30, 2007 9:13 PM, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> > 'cause I'm a *nix guy.  No windows here in my house currently so no
> > samba.
> > You could use either, but I'd do some research on the mailing list
> > before I
> > made a decision if I were you.
>
> I use NFS between my backends and SMB on my NAS box since it doesn't
> offer NFS. I had to tweak the nas box to send big packets (over
> gigabit) and I had to tweak nfs settings a bunch according to the
> wiki. I'm still not thrilled with the throughput but, they're both
> very usable. I don't think it matters much with the right settings.
> Unfortunately, they both seem to default to like lots of small files
> instead of few huge ones.

I asked as I use NFS between the frontend and the backend, as NFS over
UDP was the only transport that would give me a decent speed over
802.11g with all the neighbouring wifi. Unfortunately the situation
has deteriorated gradually, with more and more neighbours buying wifi
routers, to the point where it is almost unusable.
When I chose NFS over UDP I did tests with NFS over UDP and over TCP,
and SMB, and SMB seemed equivalent to NFS over TCP. As decent NFS auth
needs a kerberos server, from what I've read, I am more inclined to
use SMB for most situations.