[mythtv-users] WOL Slave Backend only when needed

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Dec 30 03:22:21 UTC 2007

OK, a while back I said I'd post my script for handling wakeup and
shutdown of a slave backend.  I don't know if anyone will find it
useful as-is, but it might make a useful starting point for other
people trying to do the same thing.  Here it is:
http://www.gull.us/tech/mythtv-slave-control.pl

Dependencies are few; besides Perl, you'll need "wol" (or something
similar) on the master, and "lsof" on the slave.  There are extensive
comments, so see those for setup information.

Limitations:
- It's assumed that the master will be up all the time.  It's possible
this could work with a master that also shuts down, but I don't use
that configuration so I haven't tried it.
- There's no provision for waking up the slave when files on its
filesystem are needed for playback.  This isn't a problem if you use a
shared network filesystem on the master.
- There's no provision for waking up the slave when it's needed for
live TV, although if its tuner is being used for live TV it won't be
shut down.
- It's limited to one slave with one tuner.  Nothing would prevent
running multiple copies to handle other slaves, but that may lead to
scheduling races.  I only have one slave so I can't test this.

This has been working well for me for a few weeks now, but there may
still be bugs or subtle corner cases in how it reads the schedule
data.  If you find anything, let me know.