[mythtv-users] OT: Denon AV Receiver Serial Port Protocol

David George david at thegeorges.us
Sun Dec 30 02:57:24 UTC 2007

On 12/29/2007 9:37 PM, Damien Dusha wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> This is somwhat off-topic, but many Denon recievers/amplifiers have an
> RS-232 port for external control, such as the AVR-2308
> (http://www.denon.co.uk/site/unten.php?main=prod&ver=&MID=3&sub=1&fill=1&action=detail&Pid=338&)
> that I am eyeing off.  I figured this was the place to ask about open
> source  + home theatre :)
>
> This (I think) is the documented protocol, or at least that of that of
> another reciever:
> http://usa.denon.com/AVR-5805SerialProtocol_Ver4_37a.pdf
>
> Is there any open source implementation of these protocols?  I had a
> quick poke around on google without too much luck, but I am happy to
> have a poke around, unless someone has some better information.

I've been looking at RS-232 controlled receivers for a while and just
wish I could find one that wasn't so expensive.  I have been talking to
one of my coworkers about designing our own 7.1 amp that takes spdif in
and has both rs-232 and usb control support.  Then we could write a
mythmixer module and control the levels independently.  We would also
make it so the levels could be stored per channel (I have some channels
that are noticeably louder than others).

--
David