[mythtv-users] Problem with playback

Paul Catchpole paul at paulcatchpole.co.uk
Fri Dec 28 23:29:41 UTC 2007

kim Gross wrote:

>> Gabe Rubin wrote:

>>> Let us also know what the chipset is on your motherboard.  But if the
>>> problem goes away with legacy drivers (including dvd playback), sounds
>>> like an nVidia issue.
>>>
>>> I too had problems playing back dvds, but when I replaced my DVD
>>> recorder, those seemed to go away (flaky old dvd burner was the
>>> culprit I believe).
>>>

> The Motherboard is an Aopen s760gxm with the SIS 760 gx chipset.  The
> board has onboard SIS video, but I have an fx5200 card installed.  The
> processor is a Semeron 3000.  I am thinking about upgradeing to a athlon
> 64 3200, but I'm not sure if it would be enough faster to be worth it.
>
> Kim

Just as an outside chance, have you confirmed the Sempron 3000 is
running at its correct clock speed?

If you check cat /proc/cpuinfo, it should report something similar to this:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 15
model           : 12
model name      : Mobile AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M Processor 2800+
stepping        : 0
cpu MHz         : 1600.000
cache size      : 128 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext 3dnowext
3dnow ts fid vid ttp
bogomips        : 3202.28
clflush size    : 64

I forget exactly which motherboard I'm using, but the DSDT is broken in
the BIOS and doesn't contain any info on this CPU, which means Linux can
only run it at its minimum scaled clock speed, 800mhz - effectively
halving its performance. To fix it, I read a lot, downloaded the AMD
technical docs, extracted and disassembled the BIOS tables, then fixed
them, recompiled and built a kernel which used them. The output above is
from that system after the fix! The ACPI mailing lists have some more
info on this process.

I do hope it's not that, as it's quite a faff to sort out.

PC