[mythtv-users] [Fwd: Shaw Cable Begins Blocking IEEE 1394 (Firewire) Output from STBs]

Martin Lynch martin.lynch at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 28 20:51:51 UTC 2007

> Am very happy to report that today I accidentally landed on one of the
> blocked HD channels and found I was once again getting reception in
> MythTV. I checked the diagnostics screens in the DCT-6200 for the
> previously blocked channels and, sure enough, the CCI flag reported
> 0x00 (no flag) rather than 0x02 on all of them. I'll wait a week
> before thanking them (and especially Mr. Michel Arpin, Vice Chair of
> the CTRC, Broadcasting, who responded almost immediately to my email,
> on Christmas day, no less!) to see if it sticks but am thus far
> pleased with such a prompt response...
>
> Certainly appreciate all the private notes of encouragement I received
> from members of this list!
>
> Now to reprogram all the HD recording schedules I'd deleted after the
> channels became blocked...

Chris: all HD channels now work except 205, 206, 207 and 208 - these
channels have always been blocked via the CCI flag, and it could be that
it's enabled at source (these are the US "Superstations"). These
channels' counterparts on digital (non-HD - in the 80s, if I recall)
also have always been blocked - if you're desperate to watch
time-shifted, endless re-runs of bad sitcoms and daytime talk shows,
you're out of luck :-). The 2 Movie Central HD channels work fine.

Note that I can't say with certainty that these aren't blocked for other
subscribers, only for me. If you want to check, tune to the channel
you're checking, then turn power off and immediately hit "select" on the
panel of your STB. A diagnostic menu will appear. Use the cursor keys to
scroll down to 6, then hit the right arrow on the panel. Check the
entry, near the bottom, for "CCI" - if it shows "0x00" it's OK; if it
shows "0x02" it's blocked from transmitting via firewire. These
instructions apply to the Motorola DCT-6200 and it should work on
channels you don't currently subscribe to (these will instead show
"0x01" after the "DRM" field to indicate you can't access them absent a
subscription).