[mythtv-users] QAM scanning help, recommendations, ideas?

Willy Boyd willyboyd at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 22:31:30 UTC 2007

It's that time of year again, where I feel I'm going to need to
re-scan my QAM channels from my HDHomerun.  With our recent switchover
from Time Warner to Comcast, we've gained some channels, and I also
noticed Food Network dropped off as no longer tunable.  I'm really
hoping the latter is due to a frequency change, as I get most all of
the digital basic channels unencrypted over QAM, and even a handful of
the non-local HD channels (yes, one of those lucky few).

However, the problem I've experienced with the Myth channel scanner is
I get a whole lot of untunable crap.  Now, I know how to backup my
channel table in Mysql and I'm not too worried about getting the
XMLTVID information ported back over; it's only really a problem for
the 50+ channels that show up in the list that really aren't tunable.
Go to the channel, wait 5 seconds for the frontend to back out with an
error message, try to go back into Watch TV and quickly change to next
channel (and if you're too slow you have to do this part again).  You
can see how after about 30 channels this becomes quite frustrating.

I'm currently using SVN as of about a week ago.  And yes, I've kept up
to date with the commits list as best I can.  So I apologize if I'm
missed some major improvements in this area.  But I humbly ask the
list:  does anyone have any ideas, such as knowledge of some automated
script, that can check each channel for an actual displayable signal
(sort of like what the frontend tries to do when tuning the channel)?
Any best practices for removing the extra cruft en masse?  Or, any way
I can better use the scanning output I can get directly from the
HDHomerun?

Thanks so much!
- Willy