[mythtv-users] Static IP vs. DHCP

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Wed Dec 26 22:15:36 UTC 2007

On 12/26/2007 8:29 AM Chad wrote:
> On Dec 26, 2007 9:22 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Dec 26, 2007 11:10 AM, Carl Reynolds
>> <mythtv-users at hyperbole-software.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There is another thread on the list about setting up server IPs and the
>>> common advice on th list and in the guides is that the backend should be
>>> set up on a local network with static IPs.
>>>
>>> When I first set up my machine, I followed this advice, but because of
>>> various reasons, I needed to change my network to DHCP. I decided to try
>>> entering the backend server name instead of the IP address in the server
>>> address in myth-setup. It seems to work. The frontend sends a request to
>>> the DHCP server, gets the IP address of the backend server and then uses
>>> that to communicate with the backend.
>>>
>>> What am I missing? Why do people say that you need to use static IPs
>>> with a split frontend/backend configuration? Is it because of the extra
>>> time needed to make the IP request from the DHCP server?
>>>

>> I believe it is because mythtv-setup takes a numerical ip address and
>> if your ip address changes you will not be able to connect. I have
>> been using DHCP for years but my dhcp server never gives my machines
>> different ip addresses (as long as I keep the router always powered)
>> so all is well. I have a $100 PCM 1000VA ups that powers this as well
>> as my master backend.
>>
>> John
>>

> You can assign a static IP via DHCP to a machine based on it's MAC
> address.

To be pedantic,  DHCP and static (manual) IP configurations are like oil
and water.  They can not be mixed.  They can only exist side by side.
Thus, you can NOT use DHCP to configure a static IP address.  Static IP
addresses are assigned manually and configured on each client.  You CAN
use DHCP to dynamically assign and configure IP addresses on each
client.  And when you configure your pool of IP addresses from which a
DHCP server can assign, you can RESERVE specific addresses to be
assigned to specific clients when certain conditions are met such as MAC
address or host name.

Cheers,

Drew

--