[mythtv-users] Static IP vs. DHCP

Carl Reynolds mythtv-users at hyperbole-software.com
Wed Dec 26 16:10:24 UTC 2007

There is another thread on the list about setting up server IPs and the
common advice on th list and in the guides is that the backend should be
set up on a local network with static IPs.

When I first set up my machine, I followed this advice, but because of
various reasons, I needed to change my network to DHCP. I decided to try
entering the backend server name instead of the IP address in the server
address in myth-setup. It seems to work. The frontend sends a request to
the DHCP server, gets the IP address of the backend server and then uses
that to communicate with the backend.

What am I missing? Why do people say that you need to use static IPs
with a split frontend/backend configuration? Is it because of the extra
time needed to make the IP request from the DHCP server?

Thanks,
Carl.