[mythtv-users] Looking for a new card

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Tue Dec 25 10:40:00 UTC 2007

Mitch Gore wrote:
> On Dec 24, 2007 8:24 AM, Andrew Williams <andy at tensixtyone.com> wrote:
>
>>> I have often seen this device mentioned but I don't understand the
>>> advantage to using it in place of a PCI or USB device. Like a MythTV
>>> backend, it needs to be located near a power, ethernet and TV signal
>>> source. Presumably it consumes no less power than a PCI or USB receiver.
>>> I assume it does meet the OP's requirements but what makes it better
>>> than a tuner built in to the backend?
>> The HDHR is silent, and produces very little heat, and as some cable
>> installs drop in near your TV to be easy, some people don't want a
>> noisey backend to be sat there too. In my house I can see a definate
>> advantage to this type of setup, and I wish they'd come out with a
>> dual DVB-T version.
>>
>> In another mind-flash, You could wire up a HDHR up a aerial mast in a
>> weatherproof box, keeping the cabling to the source as short as
>> possible...
>>

> Or you can put your frontend out of site and the HDHR under the TV. We
> assume you have TV signal at the TV so thats a snap.  Then all you need is
> to run your video cables, audio, and ethernet from the FE.  With the built
> in Lirc reciever you have a PVR the size of a small book (or thats how it
> appears)

I look at it as one less device in the machine that has to fight for
IRQ, PCI bus bandwidth, add heat to the case (which increases noise due
to the need for more cooling), one less kernel module/driver to have to
worry about, etc.

I'm wanting one, perhaps a pair, in a bad way after fighting with the
Air2PC card I have now, and knowing that I'm looking at even more issues
with PCI bus contention if I add more tuners (like I want to).