[mythtv-users] Looking for a new card

David Segall david at segall.net
Mon Dec 24 13:51:59 UTC 2007

Craig Huff wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2007 10:00 PM, Martin Turner <xmode at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>> Hi MythList,
>>
>> After much investigating (and checking the archives) I feel im no closer to
>> finding a good dual digital tuner PCI card that works well in lunix/myth. I
>
> Martin,
>
> Is there a reason you don't consider the HD HomeRun?  There is much
> discussion on this list describing the virtues of this device.  Instead of a
> PCI card adding to the heat load in your backend, this attaches to an
> ethernet port on your LAN and the video signals are fed to it instead of
> the PCI card you're looking for.  It could even be put somewhere else
> out of sight (like a closet or basement?), assuming it would be
> convenient to tie in to the LAN.
I have often seen this device mentioned but I don't understand the
advantage to using it in place of a PCI or USB device. Like a MythTV
backend, it needs to be located near a power, ethernet and TV signal
source. Presumably it consumes no less power than a PCI or USB receiver.
I assume it does meet the OP's requirements but what makes it better
than a tuner built in to the backend?